I have been remiss in posting but finally garnered some inspiration. This meme has been going around Facebook and I’ve been tagged several times to do it so here goes.
25 Random Things
Once you’ve been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it’s because I want to know more about you.
(To do this, go to “notes” under tabs on your profile page, paste these instructions in the body of the note, type your 25 random things, tag 25 people (in the right hand corner of the app) then click publish.)
1. I’m generally not an addictive person, but I do think I’ve become addicted to volunteering/doing projects. Either that, or I’m not as good at saying “no” as I thought or my ex-Catholic guilt has cursed me with endless obligation. At the moment I have 4 paying gigs, all of which include a certain amount of “volunteer” hours and at least 4 active volunteer gigs. Oh gods, I think I’m going to lie down now. Oh wait 24 more “things” to go. See? Another project.
2. Sadly, I am eating a burnt frozen pizza right now. A bizarre oxymoron.
3. I am also known as Tita Toni, Aunt Toni, t-love, Tone, T, TTR.
4. I get my hairs cut every four weeks by a fun gal named Juneka.
5. I freakin’ hate washing dishes. I live for the day we have a dishwasher.
6. I love my hubby very much. He makes me laugh, pretty much everyday. One of our wedding vows was “Never forget the importance of snuggling.”
7. I am a cylon. I am a geek.
8. I love a good handbag. I know, weird. I think I got it from my mom who also loves a good handbag. She taught me how to identify quality vs. trendy. Thus, I like expensive handbags. I also love a good tote bag and a good panier (for my bike, yo). Okay, I am a bag freak.
9. I love Portland. I like the size of it; the vibrant and collaborative arts scene; the rivers and bridges; the proximity to the ocean and to the mountains; the bike culture; the history. I know it’s a super “white” city, but that just means there’s lots of good work to do, activism in educating people about racism, socio-economic oppression, etc, etc. See #1.
10. I’d like to speak Spanish. I’d also like to speak Tagalog more. I had a funny experience when I went to the Philippines with Matt (my white hubby). I’d never been to the Philippines with a non-Filipino and realized quickly that I was going to have to translate for Matt. And whaddya you I was able to translate fairly well. The funny thing was, people would speak to us in Tagalog, I would translate and respond in English. They would respond in Tagalog. It all worked out somehow.
11. I knit, but I want to try crocheting. Last weekend someone showed me how. I’ll be trying it any day now.
12. Oh dear, not even half way there yet. Let’s see. The most recent book I’ve finished: Ursula K. LeGuin’s My Left Hand of Darkness. Loved it! Other books I have not yet finished: Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan, Standing Up to the Madness by Amy and David Goodman, On Beauty by Zadie Smith.
13. Countries I’ve visited: Philippines, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Bahamas, Costa Rica, Mexico, Canada. Countries I’d like to visit: China, Australia, Greece, South Africa, Peru.
14. I love word games. Boggle, Scrabble, crosswords, word jumbles, cryptograms. I’m a general fan of board games. My newest (thanks to my bro Eric for the most excellent Christmas present!) is called Foodie Fight – kinda like trivia pursuit for foodies. It was a big hit at my friend’s birthday beach outing last weekend.
15. I wear eye glasses. I am a glasses person. I feel like eye glasses are a part of my visual persona. Eye glasses and short hair.
16. I wish I felt more confident in my creativity.
17. I recently started feeling like a near-40-something, rather than a thirty-something. And I’m cool with it.
18. I am a chocoholic. I do also like other sweet things – bread pudding, fresh fruit cakes, pies – but if there is a chocolate option for dessert, it always trumps anything else.
19. I’m pretty good with directions and I like reading maps.
20. I’m also one of those people who finds things. Common scenario: hubby looks all over the house for his lost keys. Pockets of clothing, bags, drawers, table tops, car, etc. The first place I look for his keys (usually someplace he has already tried to look) I find the keys.
21. In 2005, Matt and I had a crazy summer of wedding events when we married. We called it the “Union Tour” and even had concert-like t-shirts made with all the various locations and dates. First an engagement party in his hometown, Middletown CT hosted by his folks. Then, a wedding shower in my hometown Rocky River OH hosted by my folks. Then, the actual wedding ceremony in Stateline NV/Lake Tahoe. After that, back to OH for the wedding “reception” again hosted by my parents. Finally, a last-minute small gathering of friends in Davis CA where we were living at the time. Truthfully we missed out inviting our close friends to anything which is our only regret. Look out for our 5 year anniversary!!!
22. I am very good with spatial relations. I perfectly pack moving trucks, car trunks, luggage and boxes. One time I packed a car well-enough to fit 5 humans and all our snowboard crap into a car. My friend declared that I had good “spatial consideration.” I know use that term for my special skill.
23. I enjoy making compilation cds. Back in my teens, I used to call my mix tapes “Tone’s Tunes.”
24. I recently found out that I’m anemic. Annoying!
25. I make a delightful lasagne and a lovely veggie curry.